In the early hours of the morning in a tertiary facility the triage nurse approaches with concerns about a young female, charlotte (24F) whom may have been physically or possibly sexually assaulted, though charlotte has not being forth coming with a history and is markedly withdrawn.
1. Please give instructions to the triage nurse on how and where to triage this patient.
2. Please take a history from charlotte, you will not be required to examine Charlotte, but you maybe required to provide details of an examination
3. And counsel her as you see appropriate with a safe plan going into the future
1. You have been sexually assaulted by a work colleague at xmas party
2. There was unprotected vaginal and anal penetration causing significant pain
3. You are suicidal and feel like its your fault
4. You have reservations about reporting to the police
5. You do not know whether you were strangled and you think a date rape drug may have been used.
6. This has never happened to you before
7. You live with a female house mate.
8. You want to know what examination an FMO will perform if they are involved.
Candidate shows sensitivity and competently covers:
Psychological Assess/suicide risk and Mx
Physical injury assessment
STD prophylaxis and counselling
Follow plan and safe discharge planning.
A lot of material in 7 mins
Common examination topic